Today marks 30 years since the Mies van der Rohe’s pavilion was rebuilt in its original place for the enjoyment of Barcelona’s residents and in homage to its architect.
The Pavilion, originally designed for the World Expo 1929 by the prominent German architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, served as the German national pavilion and was the venue for the reception of King Alfonso XIII of Spain as well as many German political figures.
Built as a temporary exhibition hall, the pavilion was dismantled at the end of the Exposition but remained anchored in the history of world architecture as it became a point of reference for its innovative structure and modernism.
The pavilion was consequently rebuilt and reopened in 1986 where it originally stood. The reconstruction took place with the aim to closely resemble Mies van der Rohe’s original work, using the same rich natural materials such as steel, glass and stone that the architect himself used.
To commemorate this anniversary, the Mies van der Rohe Foundation in Barcelona is organising a series of celebrations.
Starting today until June 4th, the pavilion will be opened from 10 am to 8 pm with free guided tours at 12 am, 1 pm and 6 pm, and on June 5th, it will be opened from 10 am to 3 pm with free guided tours at 12 am and 1pm.
A light and sound show has also been designed to highlight the pavilion during the celebrations, which are to last till October 15th and to include architecture symposia, a concert, the “Fear of Columns” exhibition, a series of films, art exhibitions and interventions.
For more information, please visit: http://miesbcn.com/the-pavilion/